I received a box of free teeth whitening pens at a mall kiosk. I was only able to use 3 of the pens. 2 weeks ago I got a new kitten that is really active. When I’m away at work, I keep her in the laundry room so she doesn’t get into anything harmful. Today when I came home, the cat was out of the laundry room. She had one of my teeth whitening pens between her paws. Only 2 pens were left in the box. Her whiskers looked sticky, so I’m sure she liked it. I threw the pen away, but I’m wondering if there is anything in the gel that might make her sick. Thanks. Jen
We hope your kitty will be okay. We have some tips for her and for you and anyone who is considering getting their teeth whitened.
Is Swallowing Teeth Whitening Gel Harmful?
Below are four things to keep in mind if you or your pet swallows bleaching gel.
- Teeth whitening gel is not for internal use, and it should be kept away from children.
- If it’s swallowed in large amounts, it can cause stomach pain, inflammation, vomiting, or diarrhea.
- Anyone who swallows large amounts should call a doctor or go to an urgent care facility.
- Take the product with you to the visit for the staff to see the ingredients and provide the right treatment.
- But we don’t know what effect, if any, it will have on your pet. It will likely depend on how much of the gel your pet swallowed.
- Give your veterinarian a call.
- If you don’t have a vet, you can take your pet to the vet office at a local pet store.
- Take the teeth-whitening pens box with you so they can see the ingredients in the gel. The vet will take care of your pet and let you know what you can expect over the next few days.
Caution for DIY Teeth Bleaching
We advise all of our writers to be careful with do-it-yourself or free teeth-whitening gel. Be certain that your teeth and gums are disease and cavity free. The gel can irritate your teeth and gums if they are not healthy.
Your dentist should be able to you if bleaching your teeth is safe, or if another method should be used to whiten them. In some cases, bleaching gel can make the stains on your teeth look worse.
This post is sponsored by Plano, TX dentist Dr. Miranda Lacy.