I got free teeth whitening from my dentist. I have been using it every night for 4 months. My dentist wanted me to give it a break but I can’t stop. Today and lunch, I felt this horrible electric shock through my bottom teeth. I thought immediately that it must be from the whitening. I am scared that I overdid it. Now every 15 minutes or so the shock comes back. It won’t stop. Could this really have come from the bleaching gel? I just took an Advil. Is this going to go away? I’m too embarrassed to call my dentist because she told me to stop whitening a long time ago. Thanks. Shellie
Shellie – It is likely that the sensation you are feeling in your teeth is from the free teeth-whitening gel. Hopefully, the Advil will give you some relief. We recommend that you stop using the bleaching gel. Give your teeth a break.
If the pain becomes more frequent, or if it increases over the next day or two, call your dentist to have your teeth examined. If you have time today, you can try using toothpaste for sensitive teeth, such as Sensodyne, to see if you get some relief.
Risks of Using Too Much Free Teeth-Whitening Gel
Many people over-bleach their teeth. It’s important to follow your dentist’s direction on the frequency for doing touch-ups.
- Teeth can weaken
- Nerve irritation that results in hypersensitivity
- Teeth can darken
It’s good that you started your whitening process with your dentist. Some people choose to use professional-strength bleaching gel without the supervision of a dentist, and problems can result from it. Based on the characteristics of your teeth and your sensitivity, your dentist can recommend a bleaching gel of the appropriate strength for your case.
Don’t wait too long to contact your dentist if you don’t feel any relief, or if the situation gets worse.
This post is sponsored by Plano, TX dentist Dr. Miranda Lacy.